Thursday 27 December 2012

My first sewing project

Believe it or not, my experience of sewing was only gained when I was at my age of 11 which I took a family study class in high school back in Hong Kong. We did an apron, a flute holder and... I guess that's it. We then moved to Canada, since then I haven't sewn a thing.

At the beginning of this year, my husband and I moved into a new house. Renovation costs a big chunk of money and so we started planning some DIY projects, hopefully this can save some $$ and at the same time and custom made some of our décor. I had the courage to start a big DIY project - sewing draperies for our 2nd level rooms. For people who have sewing experience might say this is not a big deal at all, but for me, who haven't sewn for more than 20 years is a challenge! 

To start a sewing project has to at least get a sewing machine - luckily, my mom got one which she bought before we moved to Canada more than 20 years ago. She stored it in her basement and has never use it. Well, let me be the new owner for this little piece of machine then!

Thanks to the Singer that starts my sewing life!! Compare to the ones in the market right now, this's sure a grandma but I love her!



The first room I did draperies for was my craft room. I got so excited that I can have my own craft room in our new home as I know I'll need plenty of space to do my art & craft projects.
I chose a very light fabric for my windows - linen. This is not an ideal type of fabric for window treatment but I just wanted to try it out anyway.



Later on when I finally started out, I found that linen is very hard to iron and sew... look, i was really struggling there... but because I had already purchased like 10 yards of them, I gotta finished it off....


That wasn't a great beginning (@_@;)

But I made it through.  (^___^)




I'm quite impressed with the work I did. Not only about saving money but mostly it's the courage to begin and the endurance to complete. Having said that, there are still many areas I need to improve, like my sewing techniques, as it's not easy to even sew a straight line... and calculations plays a big part in sewing.. it was such a nightmare calculating each panel accurately and then i had to cut and sew accurately in order to get all 4 panels the same height and width. I am a free hand person, i don't like measuring things but I guess in the sewing world, I have to change some part of myself!!! This is fun!


Finally, my husband was very happy for me too but i know he was a little unsure with the see-through fabric.  =)



No comments:

Post a Comment